- Study Guides
- Contact Us
Submissions to the 2018 Bellevue Literary Review Prizes are now open.
Deadline: July 1, 2017.
Deadline: July 1, 2017.
BLR Prize Guidelines:
- The BLR Prizes award outstanding writing related to themes of health, healing, illness, the mind, and the body.
First prize is $1,000 (in each genre) and publication in the Spring 2018 issue of BLR.
Honorable mention winners will receive $250 and publication in the Spring 2018 issue of BLR.
- Fiction and Nonfiction: Max word count is 5,000, but most of our published work tends to be in the 2,000-4,000 range. (We do not publish "genre" fiction or academic essays.)
Poetry submissions should have no more than 3 poems. Please include all poems in one document.
Please note: The Daniel Liebowitz Prize for Student Writing is not an open-call contest. This annual prize recognizes one outstanding work from the Medicine Clerkship at NYU School of Medicine.
- Entry fee is $20 per submission. For an additional $10, you will receive a one-year subscription to the BLR. If no entry fee is received, the manuscript will be considered as a general submission.
- Do not put your name on the manuscript document.
- Work previously published in print or electronically will not be considered. For the BLR, “published work” means published in print in North America, or published on the Internet in electronic journals, e-zines, academic websites, and other “public” or “official” websites. Works posted on personal blogs or websites will be considered on a case-by-case basis. We ask that authors be honest about web postings. (If a work is discovered to have been posted or published elsewhere—and not openly acknowledged by the author in advance—we will remove it from consideration.)
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted, but we ask that you notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere. We regret that there can be no refunds or substitutions for withdrawn work.
- All entries will also be considered for regular publication.
- Students/friends/colleagues/relations of a judge are not permitted to enter submissions to that judge's genre.
- BLR acquires first-time North American rights, and the right to reprint in anthologies. After publication, all other rights revert to the author and the work may be reprinted as long as appropriate acknowledgement to BLR is made.
Please feel free to contact us with questions: info@BLReview.org