- Study Guides
- Contact Us
We will be open to general submissions through February 1st, after which time we will take a short hiatus. We will reopen to submissions via the Submittable platform on March 1st.
Below are guidelines for general submissions. For information about the BLR Prizes, please click here.
- The BLR seeks high-caliber, unpublished* work, broadly and creatively related to our themes of health, healing, illness, the mind, and the body.
(*For the BLR, “published work” means published in print in North America, or published on the Internet in electronic journals, e-zines, academic websites, and other “public” or “official” websites. Works posted on personal blogs or websites will be considered on a case-by-case basis. We ask that authors be honest about web postings. If a work is discovered to have been posted or published elsewhere--and not openly acknowledged by the author in advance--we will remove it from consideration.)
- Prose should be limited to 5000 words.
Poetry submissions should have no more than 3 poems. Please include all poems in one document.
- BLR acquires first-time North American rights. After publication, all rights revert to the author and the work may be reprinted as long as appropriate acknowledgement to BLR is made.
- We strive to provide several readers for each manuscript in order to offer maximum exposure, but this takes time. We respectfully ask for your patience and forbearance in this matter. If you have not heard from us within five months, feel free to inquire about your manuscript.
- We will consider simultaneous submissions, but request that you inform us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- We are closed to submissions in July and August. Manuscripts that arrive during this time will not be considered.
- Payment is in the form of copies. Published authors will receive two copies the issue in which their work appears, an additional 1-year subscription to the BLR, as well as a gift subscription for a friend. There is an author discount for purchasing extra copies.
Some troubleshooting tips:
- If you can't upload, try logging in and then logging out. Sometimes the system needs to refresh.
- Keep the file name short and simple (one word, no spaces/symbols). This is just referring to how the file is saved on your computer. You'll be able to type your full title on the submission page.
- If you continue to have trouble, let us know: info@BLReview.org
We strongly prefer online submissions. However, if you are unable to submit your work online, please feel free to send a hard copy to the address below. Please include an SASE with hard copy submissions.
Bellevue Literary Review
NYU Department of Medicine
550 First Avenue, OBV-A612
New York, NY 10016
Please note: If you need to withdraw a submission, please e-mail us at info@BLReview.org. Unfortunately, it is not possible to withdraw your manuscript through the submissions manager site.
Questions? Please contact us: info@BLReview.org
Read an interview with Senior Fiction Editor Ronna Wineberg on what she looks for in a submission, what editing has taught her about writing, and why some pieces get rejected.